Saturday, March 8, 2014

From I can't to I can

Yoga, relaxing? 18 sessions and it still makes sore muscles. But the positions I could not contort my body into, are now doable.
The cross-legged Sukhasana position starts the yoga session with relaxation and deep breathing. At the beginning I tried to achieve it, straightened my legs, folded one leg in, tried crossing, nothing but sheer agony. Now I'm ok for a few minutes in Sukhasana, not perfect like the instructor, but ok.
Painting the background in a figurative piece has the same history. My beginning pieces had no color, no shape in the background; then color gradations, nothing obvious, just a hint of color. Then shapes of color, something to lead the eye. Little by little, I have inched my way into painting backgrounds that become part of the story.
Just like Sukhasana, so uncomfortable in the beginning, painting the background now brings some joy. I don't love it, but a little stretch of ability and a little mental perseverance transformed I can't into I can.
This painting combined figurative with fitting grafitti  from a LA reference photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment