Monday, July 1, 2013

Three money saving tools for pastel artists


I love saving money, especially when it gives me a new convenient tool! Try these inexpensive ideas.
1.  Prop your arm. I'm working close up on a portrait, on the eyes, with a pastel that almost has a point, trying to place one dab of color in just the right spot, and my arm slips. That beautiful lady now has inch thick mascara. Oops. 
With just a slight request, my husband created a perfect arm prop. His creative solution hooks over the back edge of the support - no touching of the pastel surface. The best part? It's cheap (free, if you have one on hand already) and quick to make. Just make a 180 degree curving bend in a flat curtain rod, like in the photo. The rod's surface is smooth against the arm and strong enough not to flex.
Hooked over the back of my support, the center of the easel keeps it from sliding. If I need to reposition it to the left side, I clip the support and nestle the prop against it - no sliding. When not in use, it hooks on the side of the easel frame, out of the way.
2.  Make a point. My new and improved homemade tool for sharpening pastel sticks or pencils, described on my Facebook post
3.  Scratch it out. That dab of soft pastel blobbed on too thickly? Gently touch it with a pushpin to remove excess. Layers of color look too thick to read as grass texture? Scratch lines through it with a pushpin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment